Zinner NR, Mattiasson A, Stanton SL. Efficacy, safety, and tolerability of extended-release once-daily tolterodine treatment for overactive bladder in older versus younger patients. J Am Geriatr Soc. 2002 May. 50(5):799-807. [Medline].
Jump up ^ Abdool, Z; Sultan, AH; Thakar, R (July 2012). “Ultrasound imaging of the anal sphincter complex: a review”. The British journal of radiology. 85 (1015): 865–75. doi:10.1259/bjr/27314678. PMID 22374273.
Kegel Exercises: These exercises require you to contract and release your pelvic floor muscles. These are the same muscles that you use when you try to stop and restart the flow of urine. By toning these muscles you could improve overall bladder control and reduce the urgency as well as the frequency at which you urinate. Kegel exercises are effective if they are practiced with regularity.
If the symptoms of your OAB are severe and can’t be controlled through other treatments, your doctor might suggest surgery. If your OAB is caused by an enlarged prostate, a surgeon can remove part of the gland. Your doctor can help you understand the potential benefits and risks of this treatment option.
Transient incontinence is a temporary version of incontinence. Medications, urinary tract infections, mental impairment, and restricted mobility can all trigger transient incontinence. Severe constipation can cause transient incontinence when the impacted stool pushes against the urinary tract and obstructs outflow. A cold can trigger incontinence, which resolves once the coughing spells cease.
Childbirth. Vaginal delivery can weaken muscles needed for bladder control and damage bladder nerves and supportive tissue, leading to a dropped (prolapsed) pelvic floor. With prolapse, the bladder, uterus, rectum or small intestine can get pushed down from the usual position and protrude into the vagina. Such protrusions can be associated with incontinence.
It is estimated that most people with overactive bladder experience only the symptoms of urgency and frequency (63%). The remaining 37% have wetting accidents (urge incontinence) in addition to urgency and, often, frequency.
The exact cause of an overactive bladder is a mystery. However, several factors are known to contribute to the involuntary contraction of the bladder muscle, improper bladder function, and other symptoms associated with an overactive bladder.
Having to deal with incontinence can be a very stressful, emotional thing for adults. Whether you’re dealing with it yourself or you’re helping a loved one who is dealing with it, there can be some embarrassment and humiliation feelings that come up. Having the kind of protection that prevents accidents from occurring can make a big difference in the person’s self esteem; finding the right protection that truly works is very important in sensitive matters like this. We’ve provided the top rated adult diapers in the industry that customers are reporting are comfortable, easy to use and most importantly, that work.
Your doctor will physically examine you for signs of medical conditions causing incontinence, including treatable blockages from bowel or pelvic growths. In addition, weakness of the pelvic floor leading to incontinence may cause a condition called prolapse, where the vagina or bladder begins to protrude out of your body. This condition is also important to diagnose at the time of an evaluation.
Validated instruments that assess disease-specific QoL, such as the Incontinence Impact Questionnaire (IIQ), the Kings Health Questionnaire, and the OAB-q, have been developed to determine the impact of OAB and urinary incontinence on QoL. These have all demonstrated the substantial impact of OAB and urinary incontinence.
This plan incorporates dietary changes such as adjusting how much one drinks and avoiding dietary stimulants. In addition, there are distraction and relaxation techniques to delay voiding to help expand the urinary bladder. By using these strategies, an individual can train the bladder to accommodate more stored urine.
Cheng CL, Li JR, Lin CH, de Groat WC. Positive association of female overactive bladder symptoms and estrogen deprivation: A nationwide population-based cohort study in Taiwan. Medicine (Baltimore). 2016 Jul. 95 (28):e4107. [Medline].
It has long been suggested that legislators don a diaper before an extended filibuster, so often that it has been jokingly called “taking to the diaper.” There has certainly been at least one such instance, in which Strom Thurmond gave a record-holding 24 hours and 18 minute speech.
The term OAB has been adopted by the US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) to expand the number and types of patients eligible for clinical trials. As noted, OAB may include not only urgency urinary incontinence but also urgency, frequency, dysuria, and nocturia. Other terms used include detrusor overactivity, detrusor instability, detrusor hyperreflexia, and involuntary bladder contractions.